Sunday, September 2, 2007

Augustana Odyssey


Hello from wet muddy sunny sioux falls SOUTH DAKOTA!

I got to my dorm room on saturday around 9 and immediately began unpacking. Through a few fights, lunch at the spicy pickle, and mom making my bed, I finally got set in and slightly settled. From there I went to meet all the theater folks and left with a senior to Leif Erickson YMCA camp in the middle of sioux falls...(the original campin got cancelled because of the possibility of a storm.) This camp, although you felt in the middle of nowhere, was actually right in the middle of downtown... totally bizarre!

Through a bunch of theater games and crazy theater people antics, I slowly started to connect with a bunch of the kids. It was a great time and the Tech Director RJ made us a dinner of: Steak, Salad, Bread and Brie, and amazing sweet potatoes... totally delicious. Afterwards we kinda just got to hang out for awhile; so a new friend Leighland and I went on an adventure to find anything in the world remotely interesting. We wound up in a slide that started above ground but then slid under the surface to a system of underground tunnels, extremely weird.

Later that night we had a campfire where you could bond with your Mentor if you were a freshman. Unfortunately my mentor had to leave so I got stuck with Lily.... Lily is closer to being a toy then human. She stands at about 4ft. tall and has a voice higher then any piano could every reach... Fortunately, she is extremely nice and halarious. So once I got passed her height and voice it was a great time!

After the fire we all wandered down to the huge field and laid out our sleeping bags and got really close like theater people like to do... we spent the night in the field under the big south dakota sky... pretty fun.

that morning we woke up to RJ screaming to put down the tents (that we didnt sleep in) and get back to augie... confused we did as we were ordered and right as we loaded the cars there was a huge CRACK! and it started to rain in SHEETS... basically like walking through water...

We shared a breakfast once we got back to augie and then parted ways, and thats where I write this email from.... my new home in 119 Solberg hall.

everyone around me is very nice and it has been a blast so far...

love,
søren.

No comments: